Holy Cross Preparatory Academy, known as Holy Cross, has assembled a blue ribbon panel of academia to oversee several functions as the school transitions from a diocesan Catholic school to the only independent Catholic Preparatory School in Burlington County. They will work together with the school’s leadership in the continued evaluation and enhancement of the school’s program of studies. Together with the administration, these individuals will select and administer a curriculum that challenges and prepares our students for admittance to top tier universities as well as readies them for an ever changing professional world.
The Academic Committee members are:
Dr. Joseph R. Marbach- HCA Board of Trustee President
- La Salle University – BA 1983, magna cum laude
- Temple University – MA Political Science -1986, PhD Political Science –1993
- Dr. Marbach is currently the ninth president of Georgian Court University, where he leads the strategic vision and growth of the university. He was previously the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at LaSalle University, where he was a Professor of Political Science and established the English Language Institute, the Office of Professional and Corporate Education, and the Institute for Lasallian Education and Engaged Pedagogy (I-LEEP). He was also in charge of International Education and Recruitment and signed cooperative agreements with local colleges and international universities. Dr. Marbach has also served as the Dean for the College of Arts and Sciences at Seton Hall University, where he was both a Professor and the former chair of the Department of Political Science.
- Past president of the New Jersey Political Science Association
- He has taught faculty seminars sponsored by the National Endowment for the
- Humanities and the Fulbright Summer Institute.
- Editor-in-chief of Federalism in America: An Encyclopedia
- An award-winning radio analyst
- Former Lector at St. Katherine Drexel Parish
- Served on two principal search committees for St. Paul’s School
- Married to Paula
- Three children including, Joseph HC ’13, Jillian HC ’16, Madison ’23
Dr. Dolores Szymanski
- Temple University BS 1974, Secondary Education and Social Studies
- Temple University – Masters of Education 1976, Psychology of Reading.
- Wilmington University – PhD in Education
- Dolores retired as Superintendent of the Burlington County Institute of Technology (BCIT) in 2011. She is a past administrator of BCIT, having worked there since 1983. Since retiring, she has served as Interim Superintendent of the Shamong and Mt. Holly Township Public School Districts, and as the Interim Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction in the Cinnaminson Township Public Schools. Dr. Szymanski has also worked as an adjunct in the doctoral program in Innovation and Leadership at Wilmington University. She currently serves as Curriculum Coordinator for Riverside School District.
- Currently serving on the Boards of the Foundation for Educational Administration, the United Way of Camden/Burlington Counties, the Alice Paul Institute, the Wilmington University South Jersey Alumni Association, and the Temple University Alumni Association
- Past president of the New Jersey Principals and Supervisor Association
Mr. Richard Serfling
- Glassboro State College – Master of Arts in Educational Administration
- Rich Serfling has 44 years of experience in education. He has served as Superintendent of Schools in Mt. Ephraim in Camden County for 23 years and was an administrator in Willingboro and Cinnaminson public schools.
- Rich has served on administrative search committees in Millville, Mt. Ephraim and twice at St. Charles Borromeo Parish School in Cinnaminson
- Past President of Camden County School Superintendents Association
- President of St. Charles Borromeo Parish School Board
- Currently an administrative mentor for newly-appointed superintendents in the state of New Jersey
- Married to Marie, a past Trustee of St. Charles Borromeo Parish
Dr. Frank McAneny
- Joseph University
- The College of New Jersey
- Temple University
- Dr. Frank X. McAneny has been involved in education for 45 years as a teacher and administrator in both public and Catholic schools. In addition he has volunteered in the past to be part of the Diocese of Trenton’s Education Advisory Board, serving as Chairperson for 3 years, was the Chairperson for the Superintendent’s Search Committee for the Diocese of Trenton and is a past member of the Holy Cross High School Board of Advisors. Dr. McAneny is also an Adjunct Professor for the Department of Education at Holy Family University for courses in Special Education and Education Leadership.
- Eucharistic Minister of St. John Neumann’s Parish in Mount Laurel
- Member of the Liturgy Committee at St. John Neumann’s Parish serving as a Eucharistic Minister and on the Liturgy Committee
- Married to Kathleen
- Frank has 3 children: Sean HC ’01, Maura HC ’03 and Tim HC ‘06
Mr. Daniel Gaffney
- St. Joseph’s University
- Villanova University
- Dan Gaffney has served in diverse capacities in public schools for over thirty three years. Dan retired in 2012 as a school principal in Maple Shade. Currently, Dan is teaching courses at Rowan College at Burlington County and working as an associate on the staff at the Givnish Funeral Home.
- Member of the Cinnaminson Township Board of Education
- Committee Chairman volunteer for Boy Scouts of America Troop 70
- Active member of St. Charles Borromeo Parish for past twenty five years
- Eucharistic Minister – St. Charles Borromeo Parish
- Member School Board – St. Charles Borromeo School
- Volunteer on various committees
- Recently selected as new Trustee for St. Charles Borromeo Parish
- Dan is married to Marge
- Dan has 3 children: Dan, Megan and Kate
Mr. Tim Costello – HCA Class of 1972
- University of Kentucky – BA, Health Sciences and Physical Education
- Rider University – 24 credits in Education Administration
- Tim is a former Principal of New Jersey United Christian Academy. He has also served as the Interim Head of School for Lakewood Prep. He has served in additional administrative position as Director of Admissions, Director of maintenance and facilities, Dean of Students and Director of Athletics.
- Past Committee Chair for NJ Independent Schools in area of physical education and health
- Currently Executive Director of Burlington County Football Club
- Served on Executive Board of Directors of Atlantic Baseball Confederate
- Collegiate League
- Past baseball coach at Ocean County College
- Coached varsity Baseball and basketball for 25 years
- Leads a men’s bible study group at Calvary Church in Delran
- Married to Christine
- Three grown children
Mr. William McDermott – HCA Class of 1964
- Xavier University, Cincinnati – BA in Political Science, Psychology and Jesuit Leadership
- Grad Courses at Miami of Ohio, Univ. of Chicago, Trenton State and U of P
- Bill has an extensive background in the education field. At Guardian Angels School, Cincinnati, Ohio he was faculty coordinator, teaching social studies and religion grades 6-8. He is a former Assistant Director of Community Affairs in Willingboro, where he developed grant proposals for Alternative Education, providing education for ‘at risk juveniles’. McDermott taught social sciences and outdoor education with Project USE. He taught government and psychology at JFK and Willingboro High School. He trained NJ School’s Counselors at Rider University on sexual harassment and bullying. He lectured for the NJ Department of Education on alternative choices in education at Rutgers Camden and Rowan University (Glassboro). Since 1989, he has held a teaching position at Moorestown High School writing curriculum for the humanities and social sciences. He was the co-chair of the Community Alliance on Substance Abuse and the Assistant Varsity soccer coach for 23 years.
- Bill has received professional development grants for Stanford University; he has earned the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History grant to Oxford; and a National Endowment for Humanities grant to Loyola-Marymount studying Constitutional Law. He was the lead teacher bringing the ‘Alice Paul Grant’ from the American History Institute to MHS. McDermott initiated multiple technology based social studies courses for Moorestown High School.
- CCD teacher for the Diocese of Cincinnati
- Coached/trained Xavier sailing team
- Together with Pat, ran Corpus Christi CYO for 15 years
- Helped establish Friendship Soccer League for Cinnaminson and Delran
- Introduced golf as a CYO program
- Coached baseball, basketball and soccer in Moorestown School District and
- Moorestown Township
- Boys soccer trainer for Voorhees Soccer and the South Jersey Baron’s Soccer
- Vice President – Historic Society of Riverton
- Member of Riverton Improvement Association
- Assists Pat in the Porch Club of Riverton and the Philadelphia Horticultural Society
- Married to Pat Barlow McDermott HC ‘64
- Daughter Sarah, HC ’96 and son Brian